Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Who is this Guy - Part Deux?


Anyway, after my experience with AOL Simming, I was a left a little wanting. This was for a number of reasons, but primarily because of the lack of detail I was seeing.

When I started in SFOL and the USF, posting was required. Each week we would hold a live action Sim. But afterward two posts were required. One post explained what we did on duty, the other what we did while off duty. The problem is that they were not required and half of my fellow Simmers simply ignored them, not doing them at all. This hurt continuity, because every week was like starting over from the beginning, and the plots were---well---similar to say the least. Also, there was the time factor. It was becoming increasingly difficult to find a day and time everyone could get together and Sim, so many just dropped out.

I left AOL Simming partially because of time constraints and partially because of environment. I discovered other avenues, notably Play By Email (PBEM) Simming and Bulletin Boards (BB), which meant that time constraints were no longer a factor. Some groups were a mixed bag of PBEM and live action (IRC). But those groups often suffered from megalomania. Everyone wanted to be an admiral, and few were willing to do the work required after attaining the rank. Many split off to begin their own groups with varying degrees of success.

I held a number of positions within a number of these fleets from XO, to CO to chief of personnel to chief of fleet operations. After those groups folded, i took my Sim independent and stayed independent for 7 years. It was a singularly rewarding and difficult task to say the least. But, due to lack of player interest I finally decided to pack my Sim away.

A couple of years later, a friend needed help on his ship, and I returned to AOL Simming for what turned out to be much more than a guest appearance.

No comments: